Sausage rolls are a delicious summer treat whether for a BBQ or picnic treat. They are synonymous with parties, so this simple recipe needs no further introduction.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 1 x 500g block of puff pastry – defrosted and chilled
- 225g good quality sausages (approximately 6)
- 1 small onion
- 2 tbsp chopped sage
- 1 egg – beaten
- 4 tbsp sesame seeds
- Pre-heat your oven to 220ºC.
- The next step is to prepare the filling. Finely chop the onion and sage and transfer into a mixing bowl.
- Remove the sausage meat from its skins, and add to the bowl with onion and sage. Add a little seasoning then mix together – we find the easiest method is with your hands rather than utensil.
- Wash your hands and make sure they’re dry before moving onto the pastry. Lightly flour your surface and rolling-pin and roll out the puff pastry into approximately 30cm x 20cm. Cut into two long strips (of 30cm x 10 cm).
- Divide the sausage meat into two long rolls the same length as the pastry strips and place each sausage meat roll onto each pastry strip about 1.5cm from the top.
- Beat a little of the beaten egg onto this 1.5cm gap, then fold the pastry over the sausage meat and seal with a fork. Repeat for the second strip.
- Brush the remaining beaten egg over both rolls and sprinkle with the sesame seeds.
- Using a sharp knife, trim the pastry where you made the seal and then divide each long roll into 8.
- Transfer the 16 sausage rolls onto a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper, and bake for 20 – 25 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool before enjoying that day.
These sausage rolls can be stored in airtight container or frozen to make them last, but if you’re making them for a party, it’s unlikely there’ll be any left!
One comment on “Sesame sausage rolls”
[…] Although more a summertime treat (delicious for picnics), we like to make these ahead in a large batch and freeze them, being able to defrost and cook a few at a time as a mid-afternoon treat (if they last that long!) Here’s our recipe for Sesame Sausage Rolls: https://seasonseatings.net/2015/08/30/sesame-sausage-rolls/ […]