When looking for a fast and delicious summer lunch, we stumbled across stuffed avocado boats by Tess Ward (via Waitrose). This incredibly simple recipe includes some of our favourite summer flavours: soft, smooth avocado, the sweetness of young peas and the sharp tang from feta.
This recipe (the original is on Waitrose here, involves absolutely no cooking and can be prepared in well under 10 minutes. The recipe makes enough for two people, which we served with a couple of toasted wholemeal pita breads to help mop up the excess stuffing. We have made this a few times, but on this occasion were a bit too blitz-happy with the mini food processor, so the mixture is a lot smoother than it should be, but should give you some idea of the correct end result.
Preparation time: 5 – 10 minutes
Cooking time: none 🙂
- 100g frozen peas
- 100g feta
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh mint – chopped
- 2 avocados
- Blitz the peas (slightly thawed), with the 3/4 of the feta, garlic lime juice, olive oil in a small blender. Blitz just a few times so that everything is mixed and there’s still a lot of texture.
- Slice each avocado in half, remove the stone and score the flesh. Pile the pea and feta purée into each avocado half, then season with the remaining feta, a twist of freshly ground black pepper and a small drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
- Serve with warm pita breads to enjoy as a healthy summer lunch.