With some sustained good weather in the UK recently, we’ve enjoyed eating dining al fresco. Barbecues aside, when there are just 2 (or even 1) food should still be a pleasure to make, look at and eat. Our girddled peach, chicken and feta salad is just that – colourful, healthy, full of flavour and of course requires a minimal effort in the kitchen (or BBQ if you choose to cook as well as eat outside).
Peaches are ripest in season between July and September, so are readily available in supermarkets and greengrocer. We recommend buying fresh on the day or the day before as this soft fruit soon spoils. In this recipe we contrast the luscious sweetness of the fruit with saltiness of the feta to bring flavour balance to our salad.
The recipe below serves two comfortably, served with a crunchy fresh baguette or a couple of slices of toasted (or griddled) sourdough.
Preparation time: under 5 minutes (primarily for opening packets and slicing the peaches)
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 2 peaches
- 2 large chicken breasts (cooked)
- 1 large bag of pre-mixed salad leaves
- 75g feta
- pomegranate seeds
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- pinch of sea salt
- Put a griddle pan on the cooker and heat over a medium flame. Meanwhile slice up the peaches into eighths and cut the chicken breast into slices.
- Brush each peach and chicken piece with the olive oil and then place on the hot griddle pan. Cook for approximately 5 minutes per side until the fruit and meat have taken on dark scorch marks.
- In a large bowl, add the salad leaves, crumble in the feta, a handful of pomegranate seeds then add the peach and chicken pieces once cooked.
- Shake up a quick dressing using 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, 1 tbsp red wine vinegar and a pinch of salt, the pour over the salad and toss together.
- And that’s it! Serve with the crusty or toasted bread and enjoy in the summer sun.