Shrove Tuesday (Pancake Day) is fast approaching, so we appropriately cooked up some traditional crepes (rather than the thicker American pancakes). Pancakes are incredibly easy to make and there is so much diversity in toppings – sugar and lemon, Nutella and strawberries amongst our favourites.
Please enjoy making the recipe below (in both video and written format), which makes 5 – 6 pancakes, and can easily be multiplied up for more, which of course we needed to.
- 75g plain flour
- 1 tsp icing sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 120ml milk
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl, then add the icing sugar and salt.
- Separately mix together the eggs and milk, pour into the dry ingredients and whisk together until you have formed a smooth batter the consistency on single cream.
- Heat a non-stick pan over a medium-high heat for a few minutes until it is evenly heated – not butter or oil needed.
- Using a ladle, pour in a portion of the pancake mixture into the pan and quickly swirl around the pan until a thin layer has formed. Cook for about 30 seconds – 1 minute until the pancake batter has just set. Using a spatula loosen around the edges and then flip over and cook for another minute.
- Repeat for the remaining mixture and serve with your favourite toppings – ours is lemon juice and honey.