For a simple, low-calorie meal made delicious flavours try this courgette and watercress soup recipe. Courgette is high in potassium, vitamin A and C and the equally nutrient-rich watercress has a smooth nuttiness that rounds off this soup. A dash of single cream completes the soup and is delicious with crusty french bread. The optional addition of a few strands of saffron (and only a few are needed – no more than 10) add an extra depth.
This recipe makes two very comfortable portions, or can be multiplied up and made up for lunches for the next couple of days.
Preparation time: 2 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 2 courgettes
- 80g watercress
- a few strands of saffron – optional
- 1 litre of vegetable stock
- 1 onion
- 75ml single cream
- Pepper – freshly ground
- Finely chop the onion and cook over a medium heat in a drizzle of olive oil until soft.
- Wash and roughly chop the courgette and add to the pan with the saffron strands and vegetable stock. Bring to the boil and then turn the heat down and cook for 10 minutes
- Add the watercress, pop the lid back on and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and leave to cool for 10 minutes and the season with the salt and pepper, then blitz with a stick blender.
- Add the cream and give a quick final blitz to incorporate before serving.