Beetroot is not the most glamorous food and is often known for being a pickled accompaniment; however this root vegetable should not be so easily overlooked as it is low in fat, an excellent source of folic acid, fibre, manganese and potassium. It is also has a fabulous deep red colour and its versatility means it can be cooked in a variety of ways (boiled, roasted, stir fried or pickled for example). In this recipe we use pre-cooked beetroot (to save time), blitzed and marbled with yoghurt (Fage Total 0% fat) before being topped with smoked mackerel, grilled Romano peppers and pomegranate.
The smoked mackerel, whilst high in fat, contains omega-3 fatty acids, which are known to be good for the heart and brain. Combined with the beetroot (our superfood of the month at Season’s Eatings), peppers and yoghurt, we have created a healthy, vibrant dish that makes for a delicious weekend lunch or light supper during the week for two.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
- 250g vac-packed pre-cooked beetroot
- 4 fillets of smoked mackerel
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp horseradish sauce
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon
- 6 heaped tbsp 0% fat yoghurt
- 2 romano peppers
- fresh dill
- handful of pomegranate seeds
- Pre-heat the grill and then slice and de-seed the romano peppers, placing on a baking tray skin-side up. Drizzle with a small amount of olive oil and grill the peppers until their skins begins to blister, which should only take about 5 minutes, so keep an eye on them.
- Cut the pre-cooked beetroot into quarters and place in a food processor with the extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, horseradish sauce and a good squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Blitz to a smooth paste and taste to check for seasoning or whether you need to add anymore oil or acid (either the vinegar or lemon).
- Dollop half of the yoghurt on each plate and spread out with the back of a spoon. Divide the blitzed beetroot mixture between the two plates and marble with the yoghurt.
- Cut up the mackerel fillers and distribute between the two plates with the grilled peppers.
- Garnish with a good sprinkling of the pomegranate seeds and fresh dill. Serve with a wedge of lemon and wholegrain bread.