After a rather indulgent bank holiday weekend, this week at Season’s Eatings we’re looking for something tasty yet healthy to help us rejuvenate. The recipe we have featured this week is baked cod fillet on a bed of fresh salad. The fresh and zingy salad provides two of your five-a-day and definitely, bringing your vitamin intake back up to normal.
This dish can be served as a lunch or light mid-week supper; whenever you eat it, you will enjoy it – with or without a glass (or two) or chilled, white wine.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 12 minutes
- Chunky cod fillet
- Handful of cherry tomatoes – cut in half
- ¼ cucumber
- ½ red onion
- 1 tbsp capers
- 2 tbsp Basil infused olive oil
- 1 tbsp Sherry vinegar
- Caster sugar
- Pre-heat your oven to 200ºC. Place the cod fillets on a baking tray and drizzle will a little olive oil, salt and pepper. Put the fish the oven and cook for 12 – 14 minutes (max). You want the cod to be moist, flaking and just cooked rather than anything that looks like it’s been left out in the sun too long.
- Prepare the salad whilst the fish is in the oven. Cut the cherry tomatoes in half, peel the cucumber and slice thinly. Finally, very thinly slice the red onion, add the capers and toss everything together.
- To make the dressing, mix the basil infused oil, sherry vinegar, a pinch of sugar, pinch of salt and a twist of freshly ground pepper.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad. When the fish is cooked, place it on top of the salad and dress with the last few dribbles of dressing. Top with a couple of basil leaves if you have these to hand.
- Serve with a couple of slices of crusty, fresh bread: ciabatta or baguette are ideal and enjoy with a chilled glass of white wine.